Which statement is NOT true about photosystems?
- Electrons in the reaction center molecule are excited by absorbed solar energy and are passed along to an acceptor molecule.
- Photosystem I passes electrons on to Photosystem II.
- Photosystem I contains a reaction center molecule that loses electrons which are then replaced by electrons from water
- Each photosystem contains numerous pigment molecules that act as antennas to capture light.
Where do the light reactions begin in photosynthesis?
- Photosystem I
- The electron acceptor
- Photosystem II
- The electron transport chain
- The Calvin cycle
The light reactions begin with the noncyclic electron pathway, which involves first photosystem II, and then photosystem I. The Calvin cycle is not part of the light reactions.