In response to the launching of Sputnik by the Soviet Union in 1957,
- Harry Truman condemned the Republicans for allowing a scientific gap to occur.
- the federal government began spending millions of dollars to improve American science and language education.
- the United States spent nearly a decade trying to equal this achievement.
- the Republican party took responsibility for the fact that the United States had fallen behind the Soviets in this area of scientific discovery.
- scientists blamed America's slowness on poor math and science education in the schools.